Do you often find yourself missing out on all the fun just because you feel tired all day? Do you feel exhausted as soon as you wake up? Are you experiencing unexplainable muscle pain? If yes, there are high chances that you are suffering from fibromyalgia. A chronic disorder, fibromyalgia is often characterized by musculoskeletal pain spread throughout the body. People suffering from this condition have “tender points” spread all over their body that hurts badly on application of pressure.
According to researchers, it is believed that this condition amplifies the painful sensations by altering the way pain signals are sent out by the brain. Most people with fibromyalgia appear to be extremely healthy but they experience sensitivity to touch, extreme fatigue, cognitive difficulties and sleep disturbances. They may also experience a host of overlapping conditions such as lupus, bowel syndrome, and arthritis.
Symptoms of fibromyalgia
The most common symptoms that you may experience while suffering from this neurological condition includes:
- Extreme pain, sleeping difficulty.
- Morning stiffness, weakness, cramping.
- A chronic headache, digestive system disorder.
- Itchy and burning skin.
- Pain at tender points.
- Problem related to memory.
- Jaw pain or pain in the face.
Diagnosis of Fibromyalgia
Well, here we must remember that fibromyalgia cannot be treated, only managed. It sometimes becomes difficult to diagnose the disease; still here are few ways through which fibromyalgia can be diagnosed.
- To be diagnosed with the disease, a person, in most of the cases, a woman must be encountering body aching problem, where the pain can be burning sensations across the body or muscular aches for the past three months.
- Urine and blood tests are done in order to rule out any condition having similar symptoms.
- Even with the help of an experienced doctor, the fibromyalgia diagnosis journey can be long and difficult one. The diagnosis of the disease can be equally frustrating for the doctor as well as the patient.
- Other conditions that occur along fibromyalgia can make the diagnosis confusing.
Problems Faced By Patients
Patients suffering from fibromyalgia have to suffer from a lot of problems. They often face a lack of understanding and compassion from their family and friends. The sufferers feel angry and isolated.
- People often say that they appear too good to be sick.
- Friends don’t understand why they cancel the appointments every time.
- Family members expect them to get up and indulge in variety of work.
- Sufferers do not talk about their feeling to people lest they would tag them as “whiner”.
Selecting the Right Doctor is Crucial
Selecting the right doctor is the first step towards fibromyalgia pain relief. If you believe that you may be suffering from this condition, it is essential that you see the right doctor. So it is essential to find a medical practitioner who:
- Has years of experience in dealing fibromyalgia symptom.
- Is compassionate and a good listener.
- Believes in working with his patients.
You can always ask for references from your friends and family members to suggest you a great doctor. It is important that you choose an experienced doctor who is able to answer your questions on the first visit with ease. By working with the right doctor, you can feel so much better about yourself and your body. So make sure you know your doctor well.
FAQ about fibromyalgia
What is the most effective treatment for fibromyalgia?
Memory troubles, poor concentration and focus, mood swings, anxiety and a feeling of nervousness, extreme fatigue and weakness, insomnia are the common warning signs of a disorder known as fibromyalgia. To make sure the symptoms are not indicative of other neurological diseases and to get the proper care and comprehensive treatment, it is imperative to consult your knowledgeable doctors who are capable of making accurate diagnoses and developing the right therapy plan.
The main medical objective of dealing with fibromyalgia is to alleviate unpleasant pain, eliminate the key triggers that can include hormonal imbalance, thyroid disorders, constant stress, vitamin D deficiency, and restore the normal life quality of a patient. There is no one cure for fighting the disorder, however drug therapy can be prescribed to manage the conditions:
- painkillers are essential for coping with aches in muscles and some types of inflammations;
- suffering from depression, a doctor will add antidepressants to the treatment scheme;
- giddiness can be handled with the help of anticonvulsants.
In addition, adjustment and improvement of a poor lifestyle is a must-have part of treatment. To boost strength, a neurologist can also suggest physical or massage therapy.
What foods trigger fibromyalgia pain?
A healthy diet and nutrition are pivotal for managing most neurological disorders, including fibromyalgia that usually affects a sensory processing process in a patient, leading to an array of medical consequences that must be competently managed. And the first step to the recovery is to get rid of those products and foods that usually provoke the condition:
- caffeinated foods: a high intake can aggravate sleep troubles, cause hardly managed tiredness, and provoke severe headaches;
- products containing milk: digestive issues for patients with fibromyalgia can be caused by lactose, so being unable to digest glucose and galactose units presented in milk, it is better to stop consuming dairy products;
- alcohol: most people with fibromyalgia report worsening symptoms when drinking alcohol since a number of anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs cannot be taken with alcohol. Alcohol is also high in calories and often sugar, which can increase inflammation and pain in the body.
It is also recommended to avoid foods high in carbohydrates, nightshade plants, and oily foods.
What is the latest treatment for fibromyalgia?
One of the newest medications for treating the condition such as fibromyalgia that your health care provider can prescribe you to cope with the signs of anxiety and a feeling of despondency and avoid disorder deterioration and constant emotional strain that can trigger even more health issues is Savella.
However, only a combination of several methods can be efficient enough to properly manage pain and repair body functions. Apart from drugs, a nonpharmacologic approach can be critical for patients. Thus, alleviation of severe symptoms is possible by applying some alternative medical ways, such as acupuncture. Exercising and therapy with massage can also make a difference to your health. Good stress management is also essential. Thus, you have to consult your doctor on possible options to deal with your condition in a capable manner.
Does fibromyalgia ever go away?
With the right management of the disorder that may consist of different strategies and approaches offered by a medical specialist, the symptoms can disappear and stop bothering a patient. However, once you’ve been diagnosed with the disorder, you have to constantly maintain your well-being and avoid poor lifestyle choices to be sure that symptoms that prevent you from normal life won’t progress, causing even more serious health issues, such as cognitive function and mental impairment, poor attention and lack of focus on a task, decrease of working capacity, habitual sleeplessness, a feeling of unease, or depression that is hard to manage.
Thus, it is a straightforward medical objective to fight and get rid of all the signs and restore life quality through a well-designed and efficient curing plan, but unfortunately, it is impossible to fully treat fibromyalgia. So to regain your health, you need to consult dependable and knowledgeable doctors who can prescribe you the right medications, suggest changes in your daily life, and offer home remedies to deal with chronic painful sensations and other effects that the disorder may have on a patient.