A person spends much of his life asleep because this condition is necessary for the restoration of energy balance. Well-being and physical activity during the day depend on the quality of a dream. Therefore, the atmosphere should be safe and conducive to going to sleep. But what if a person is periodically walking in sleep? Such a state is dangerous for the health due to the probability of hurting any part of the body whereas people don’t control their performances. And they often can’t remember what they were doing during slumber. So, sleepwalking in adults needs healing.
Why do people walk in their sleep?
First of all, it is important to reveal the priority walking in sleep causes to cure the condition in a proper way. Usually, sleeping walking in adults remains rare because people outgrow it in adolescence. The exact factors that influence sleepwalking in an adult are still in the clinical research. There are some of them that can answer the question of why do people walk in their sleep:
- Stress. If a patient is frequently in a depressed mood owing to a busy lifestyle and strong feelings, he or she has a risk of getting parasomnia.
- Dream interruption during traveling. Changing time zones affect the rebuilding of the processes inside.
- Alteration of the schedule. A person’s organism gets used to a certain pattern and when this time is unstable, the body requires much tense to regulate periods of drowsiness and activity. This is one of the most common breeders of sleeping walking in adults.
- Fever and inflammation. Here some damages belong too, for example, head injuries, migraines, or restless legs syndrome.
- Consumption of particular kinds of medical preparations. It can be neurotics, hypnotics, and medications for mental disorders. As not surprisingly, such pills or liquids can be one of the reasons why people walk in sleep.
- Environmental aspects (noise, light, the temperature of the air) and lack of sleep.
- Drinking alcohol that has harmful properties of breaking the nerve connections.
Symptoms of walking in sleep
Sleeping walking in adults appears early at night almost immediately after falling asleep. It happens in the deep phase of dreamland when eye mobility is low. Episodes are usually momentary for a few minutes. Sleepwalking in an adult has such signs as sitting in bed, wandering around the apartment, lack of response to external stimuli, for instance, another person who calls a somnambulist and wonders why people walk in sleep. The additional symptoms are glassy eyes and disorientation after waking up.
Knowing walking in sleep causes, it is possible to provide the needed therapy on the advice of a doctor. The treatment is weighty because people may fall down or cling to the surrounding objects during noctambulism. The possibility of doing unsafe actions also exists if they try to cook or go out. In any case, don’t wake a lunatic because you may scare him or her. Very often a person even doesn’t keep in mind the periods of somnambulism.